Saturday, November 20, 2004

Stuck

Well, I think I finally figured out why I have been so frustrated lately with work. This whole week, I have been looking at the kids and asking myself, what the heck? When are they going to calm down and act normal? When will they quit just being rude little twits? And then, one of the student's I actually have had a chance to work with hugged me. Now this kiddo, she has some problems. She gets into fights alot, and she spends alot of time in SAC (In School Suspension). But she is a sweet kid. You can just see her background coming through. No one's taught her how to interact appropriatly. That's why I am so frustrated. In my posistion, I don't get the chance to get to know most of these kids. I'm just the mean aid who gets in their hair all the time.
So, I'm going to try to put out feelers for moving to an ABU (Adaptive Behavior Unit), or a Lifeskills (for very low level students) classroom. ABU would be crazy, but I'd have a relationship with the kids. What the heck is the point of this anyway, if I don't have that?

2 Comments:

Blogger Maya said...

It seems like this child just lacks the basic socialization skills needed in order to be able to interact with her fellow counterparts accordingly. I am sure that with some patience, perseverence and a little faith (in the young girl that is) you will be able to rid of your frustration, and the young girl will be able to realize her mistakes, and eventually, fix them.
It's a very admirable thing that you do this in the first place by the way. Just thought I might add my two cents. : )
-Maya

8:17 PM  
Blogger Lenice said...

Thanks Maya. We are working with her to teach her alternative ways to behave, and I am hopeful for her. My discouragement comes because for everyone like this at our school, there are 10 who are not receptive, most of whom already have parole officers.
I know the Lord is using me there, I just need to be patient, and try not to lose my cool. I appreciate the advice.

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home