Thursday, December 09, 2004

You are not helping!

One thing I truly hate about being just a teachers assistant is person I work under. I have had to work so hard to develop a relationship with these kids, and that is not an easy task. My little darlins don't trust authority figures of any kind. Their parent's don't exactly provide good role model's in this regard. Mom often has lot's of kids, each with a different daddy. Those daddies often don't spend much time with said children. Many are in jail. The parent's will be in conflict with everyone, from their best friends to the police. And their offsprings education is not seen as a priority. And somehow, I have to earn these kid's trust.
So I've worked hard. I ask the kids about their lives. I praise them for small small things. I tell them I believe in them. When they are upset, I reason with them, give them the chance to cool down, make comprimises. And it works! So I don't get the last word, they are LEARNING! And learning to trust.
Then enter Ms. "BluntNoTactBuryTheHorse6FeetUnder" (We'll call her Blunt for short). I will have just calmed average disgruntled student "Bob" down after he has refused to do his test. He is now actually answering questions. Everything is cool, no need for further intervention. But Ms. Blunt says...
"You can't come here and not do work. I won't put up with it. You need to get to work or I'll call your mom. This isn't social hour...." etc etc. Did I mention she repeats herself?
Anyway, by now Bob is pissed off again, and who can blame him. Why should he work when he is still getting in trouble? In fact, the only way for Bob to win is to invent a time machine and go back to before he threw his fit and keep himself from throwing it. Not a likely scenario, especially since Bob can only read on a 3rd grade level.
So what can I do? I talk to someone above her, my life with her is hell. I don't, the kids get screwed over. It's just one of the many catch 22's we face everyday in this school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home