Saturday, December 11, 2004

PTSD

One of my kiddos, I'll call him Nick, has been having some problems of late. He is constantly disrupting classes, trying to be funny, talking to other students, etc. He was recently put into SAC (In School Suspension) for sexually harrassing 3 girls. Did I mention this is one of my favorite kids? I know I'm screwy for caring bout the screwed up ones, but I see so much potential in Nick.
Recently I found out Nick was in a car accident a year ago so bad his mom lost his memory for a week. Now, every time Nick goes near that road in a car, he starts pressing his right foot down against the car floor. Also, his IQ has dropped 10 to 20 points since that accident. Something is going on. Looking back, I think he might be suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. All of his acting out seems to be for constant stimulation, so he won't have to feel. He's at the mercy of emotions he doesn't understand, and I don't know how to help him. I feel for him even more, as I went through my own bout with PTSD.
At this point, all I can do is email the shrink who is evaluating him. Perhaps it will help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home