Wednesday, November 26, 2008

On Monday I passed out these cute journals I found at the dollar store. I was so excited to be able to give my kiddos REAL journals, not just spiral notebooks. They were excited too.
I told them we'd be journaling everyday for the next two weeks while we studied Anne Frank. Then I showed them my 4 journals. I read an entry from 1995, when I was sixteen, that I wrote on the day of the Oklahoma City bombing. I explained what had happened, who had perpetrated the event, how many had died. By the time I was done, my boys were talking about going to "Jump" Timothy McVey. Believe it or not, that comment is kinda sweet. That's how my kids show their disgust with his behavior.
So we have been journaling for two days. I read the first days entries, and nearly cried. This was the best writing I had seen my kids do. They wanted to write! My little girl keeps asking to take hers home.
If we learn nothing else from this unit on Anne Frank, at least they will have learned to love journaling.

Comment from someone on my old livejournal:

Hey, I just read all your entries and I have to tell you the philosophy that got me through teaching special ed, working at an alternative school and being an administrator. Being an idealist got me there every day and being realistic kept me there. I know you're an idealist with that sociology degree and you prove it with the words about your students and their lives. The danger? Becoming cynical. Scratch any old cynic and the idealist is just under the surface. Being real about it all keeps that from happening. It is enough to be there for your students every day, and they can count on the "climate" being the same every day wherever you are. They don't have to worry about Teacher's moods or whether she's happy or sad, because with Teacher, the weather is always the same. Get it? Now smile and pat yourself on the back.

SMW

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home