Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Professionalism [Nov. 14th, 2007|02:13 pm]

I am so angry. And I don't know if I have a right to be. Am I letting something get to me that shouldn't, or is my anger justified?
Earlier today, I went to our LA planning meeting. I have been working my tail off to create a great unit for our research. I have sought feedback from multiple sources, including the LA department head. So far, everything has been constructive "Great ideas, add this to be more effective", "How will this work? What are you going to do to implement this?" So I was excited about presenting this before our team. All the signals I was getting were, this is great, roll with it.
I knew something was wrong as I started discussing it. Half the room was just silent, staring. When they did finally speak, it wasn't to tell me that they wanted to do a different part of research, it was to tell me what all was wrong. We don't want to start that now, well we are going to have to research twice then with the persuausion paper, how are we going to finish this paper for so and so. Nothing positive. Nothing making suggestions. Just telling us all how bad it was. How it wouldn't work for her class.
What is the point of planning with LA if they are going to act so disdainful of my help? Im trying not to take it personally. I could have taken positive changes, or even "That won't work for us, we are doing something different", but just saying "That's bad," and "Here's all the problems with your ideas" left me so discouraged.
So what do I do now? I don't want to come back on Friday. I can't even look at that teacher, I'm so angry. It isn't personal, but it is. Would I feel this way if I hadn't sought feedback from our Department head? Does that give me perceived legitimacy? Do I deserve that legitimacy? Why can't she see that this is a lesson plan the kids will get into, and start thinking of ways to make it work, instead of just saying all that is wrong? How do I keep from being un-proffesional now?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home